[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SurroundByUs.com • View topic - True surround....

SurroundByUs.com

A Stereo-to-Surround Community
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:12 am
  • No posting regarding file sharing of copyrighted material is allowed
  • AudioMuxer is here
  • Spec, SpecScript and SpecWeb are here

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The tools and techniques described and provided on this forum are intended for use on material owned by users and for their personal use as covered by "fair use" and other applicable copyright laws. The owners and moderators of this forum do not suggest or condone any violation of copyright or other applicable laws. Any use of these methods outside this forum in a manner which violates "fair use" or copyright is done so at the individual's own peril and is not the responsibility of surroundbyus.com.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: True surround....
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:59 am 
SBU Wiki Team

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:43 am 
SBU Wiki Team

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:04 am 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:08 am 
SBU Wiki Team

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:00 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:36 am 
Surround Junkie

@ Muziekschuur

I sympathise with the feelings you shared about surround music and I was very surprised nobody reacted on some of your remarks.
I see it this way :

Sound from behind you is unrealistic and completely made up, completely artificial.
I have never seen a band playing and hearing one of the instruments coming from left or right behind me > everything was in front !
I did hear some reverb from the rear, but that was all, nothing more.
It's the effort of the mixers and producers to give more depth to stereo sound with added gimmicks. I think we all know that
3/4 of the stereo CD's can never be played live on stage in the same way as recorded in the studio.
5.1 makes that even worse.
And this goes for spam conversions, but also for retail and professional mixed in the studio.
The major problem is this : when I listen to stereo on my HTS it doesn't sound good, at least worse than it sounded when I still had a dedicated stereo system.
And all those hardware tricks (Prologic I and II, Neo 6, SRS TruSurround, etc, etc.) do improve the spreading over 5 speakers a bit, but the same on every song and thus it gets boring after a while. Here lies the biggest challenge : to use your stereo sound over the 5 speakers in a way that doesn't mess up the original intention of the original mixer/producer. And that's where your remark about the Soundfiled microphone came in. The methods published here can give an excellent separation, can give an excellent sounding surround, but never anything equal to what was recorded with a Soundfield microphone. The only methods that can do THAT, are Ambisonics methods, which keep up with the stereo mixer's intention.
For some excellent soundfield methods, there are other places online like : http://www.dtsac3.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:25 am 
SBU Wiki Team

The debate on two versus six channels, "listening as if the band is in front of you" versus "listening as if you're in the middle of the mix," etc., is an incredibly old one and one that's been chronicled many times over on the internet, just like the "retail surround" versus "quad transfer" versus "upmixed surround" argument. At this point, I've learned that it's a matter of personal preference and that we learn best when we take a look at what each other is doing. A lot of people who have joined up here came from other forums in which I know there a lot of people who believe that upmixing is a waste of time (a lot of that has more to do with bad upmixers, though, than with anything else. ) They're here, though, and I think they're learning a bit, just like my listening to more quad transfers and retail 5.1s teaches me a bit something as to what I want to do, as well as why they feel the way they do. I also think it's wonderful that the original poster here has hung in there with the thread and has not shook his head and walked away. Musikschuur, I'm sure, will learn something from his experience here as well.

There are very good things that several of the soundfield methods on the forum recommended above, especially with some of your sparser sources in which there's just not enough music to achieve good separation, and I have no problem saying that at all. Many of us initially learned through some of those methods, and the internet is more than big enough to handle everyone's methods. I also would recommend utilizing ArcTan in that same manner, as I think the results you can achieve with it, and the amount of control you have over your output, are just stellar.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:30 am 
SBU Wiki Team

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:31 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

I don't want to get ahead of myself for newbies here who are hearing about "ArcTan" and not potentially finding it here. ArcTan is one of the drop-down selection options within SPEC. If testing it out is peaking your interest, all you have to do is work with the SPEC layout. Yet another of the beauties of this method....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:11 pm 
Trusted User

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next