[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SurroundByUs.com • View topic - spam To Digital Clean Up

SurroundByUs.com

A Stereo-to-Surround Community
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:47 pm
  • No posting regarding file sharing of copyrighted material is allowed
  • AudioMuxer is here
  • Spec, SpecScript and SpecWeb are here

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The tools and techniques described and provided on this forum are intended for use on material owned by users and for their personal use as covered by "fair use" and other applicable copyright laws. The owners and moderators of this forum do not suggest or condone any violation of copyright or other applicable laws. Any use of these methods outside this forum in a manner which violates "fair use" or copyright is done so at the individual's own peril and is not the responsibility of surroundbyus.com. All Methods and Guides are Copyrighted © SurroundByUs.com. Overall forum rules can be read .

Post subject: spam To Digital Clean Up
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:04 pm 
Surround Enthusiast

Now that I know the basics of doing to stereo to DTS conversions, I need to be able to clean up the digital music before I encode it.

Any suggestions for programs or plugins, or vst's that I could use to get rid of the Snap Crackle and Pop from the spam recording?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:43 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/spam/download.asp

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/4119

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/1646

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/soundforge/compare

adobe audition (before that was cooledit).

http://www.clickrepair.net/

etc...

I've not looked in to it but I'm sure there are guides on vinyl ripping out there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:26 pm 
Surround Enthusiast

I have gotten the programs that I could. I just need directions on how to use them.

I have converted some albums to digital format. It's finding programs that I can use to get all the bad noise out of the recordings.

Thank you for the list of programs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:14 am 
Trusted User

The cleaner the vinyl transfer, the lighter touch you need with the cleanup. The less cleanup = better sound. Deeply flawed transfers that require very heavy declicking, etc, are going to require removal of a lot of the sonics. Best to find a happy medium you can live with or try manually removing if only a few clicks and pops.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that many of us actually do vinyl transfers (I don't anymore for a long time) so there might be better places to look on the net where there is more active interest/knowledge in this that you could pick up some solid tips.
But as with anything software, the more you use it the more you learn. In itself, cleaning vinyl can be a very important first step.
By all means do all the cleanup you can before running through SPEC.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:39 am 
Surround Enthusiast

I think you hit the nail on the head.......Finding a place that is currently on the topic of doing conversions. I'm using a turntable run through my amp. I understand that is the best way to go. Gives a better sound. But the techniques and programs to use to clean up the noise are on the hard to find side. I do have a program that does some cleaning for the pops and stuff. A tutorial site would be great, but just haven't found one yet. I'll do some more looking.

I have learned that you really need to wash the vinyl first to get rid of all the dirt and grime as well as static you can. There are a whole lot of different recommendations on the solution to use. The you gotta have a nice clean soft lint free drying towel or something to dry the vinyl with. Some recommend a two stage washing (pre-wash, and wash) cycle. I have even seen a few different machines to wash the vinyl. Some of them were pretty expensive. I did see a manual washer for about 75 that came with solution, and towels. Before the research, I had never considered washing an LP before. Now I see it makes a lot of sense.

I just need to find a good set of software that won't break the bank acquiring it. Learn how to use it, and practice. I think I have about 600 or so albums and 45's that could use some cleaning and archiving. Just gotta get my wife to let me get a record washing machine. Oh well. Just takes time. I think that is the biggest challenge is locating software to do the clean up after the recordings are made. That and learning how to use it properly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:51 pm 
Surround Enthusiast

adobe does a good job on that....
but ill recommend to use a good audio card aswell to make vinyl rips!
thats a pre for sure
concerning washing the vinyl is a good thing to do!
i use myself a dishwash brand for it dreft!
wash it gently....
then use warm water to get rid of it...
an original dishwasher towel to dry it up....
if done place it on ur vinyl player with the hood closed! heh
because new dust will go get on it very fast!

goodluck m8!