[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SurroundByUs.com • View topic - Our site dedication

SurroundByUs.com

A Stereo-to-Surround Community
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:26 am
  • No posting regarding file sharing of copyrighted material is allowed
  • AudioMuxer is here
  • Spec, SpecScript and SpecWeb are here

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The tools and techniques described and provided on this forum are intended for use on material owned by users and for their personal use as covered by "fair use" and other applicable copyright laws. The owners and moderators of this forum do not suggest or condone any violation of copyright or other applicable laws. Any use of these methods outside this forum in a manner which violates "fair use" or copyright is done so at the individual's own peril and is not the responsibility of surroundbyus.com. All Methods and Guides are Copyrighted © SurroundByUs.com. Overall forum rules can be read .

Post subject: Our site dedication
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:08 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

Those of you visiting the forum through the "Welcome" screen today will have noticed a slight change to that screen in the form of a dedication. It is with great sadness that I pass on the news that one of the surround world's biggest contributors and greatest ambassadors, SndInMyHd, passed away on November 24th following a struggle with cancer in several parts of his body. SndInMyHd also utilized the monikers FastTrack and, on this forum, Sndy. Most importantly, though, he was our friend, Ken Lindquist.

I do not think I can find the words to describe what an important part Ken played in the development of this little world we call "stereo-to-surround." From its infancy in places like Doom9 and the original incarnation of the dtsac3 forum, Ken was there. He was never the technical expert, but acted as a motivator, uniter, and friendly voice for all who struggled to get the hang of the initially intimidating work we do. He served as moderator on several forums, and was set to play an integral part in the planning of this forum prior to his beginning his battle with cancer. It was not uncommon for one of us, on the older forums, to offer help to a newbie user, only to find out that Ken was already on a first-name basis with that person. Neither was it uncommon to find out that, behind the scenes, Ken was helping someone out through a difficult personal issue. Ken was that kind of presence here, and just that kind of person. Those moments when he would become upset, or get caught up in the squabbles of the dysfunctional family the internet audiophile world can sometimes be, it just never seemed right to see him caught up in flame wars, etc. It wasn't him.

Ken was a lover of all music, new and old. He was a devout Beatles and, especially, Paul McCartney fan. There's a group of surround enthusiasts out there called the "Maccateers," and he was their proud leader. He also was open to, and found great enjoyment in, all sorts of music, from newer rock bands to, even, hip-hop. He loved to create surround and took great pride in hearing about his good work from others.

There was also more to Ken, though. He was a proud son, father, and he served his country for many years as a member of the United States Armed Forces.

We are deeply saddened by his loss, and miss him tremendously. I still cannot imagine what a surround world looks like without Ken in it.

We are taking two steps here at SBU to honor Ken's life and what he means to us. As mentioned previously, we have dedicated this forum to his memory. We will also be setting up a page at the American Cancer Society (ACS) webpage for members to donate in his honor in the next several days. I can think of no greater tribute to the bonds this man made around the world than for people to give back to those currently suffering, or who may suffer in the future. More than 1,500 people are expected to die of some form of cancer in the United States in 2009, according to ACS.

We have set up a page in Ken's honor on the American Cancer Society website where you can donate on his behalf. The URL is: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/Event ... fr_id=9910

If you are outside the U.S., would like to make a donation towards cancer research in your own country, and cannot find out how, PM me and I will do my best to help you find the right place.

We miss you, buddy,

River161

Last edited by River161 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Our site dedication
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:02 pm 
Surround Addict

DITTO!
was my best friend in internet, next and confidant!
great helper, very kind, ambassador of piece, special person.
i never could measure his humble, was too big for my understanding.
sending mails he always called me as 'dear friend', 'pal', 'brother' or works expressing proximity with liberty.
we lose too much!

rest in peace dear brother KEN!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:58 pm 
Trusted User

Very nice that we should remember him this way.
Ken was an absolute treasure. Not one to gripe or complain, he preferred to work "behind the scenes", talking with folks everywhere that were interested in surround music, and making stereo to surround conversions.
More than that, Ken was always there to listen to anyone with a problem, and give an encouraging word - I know he helped me through a rough time.
I have cried with pain, yet smiled with remembrances of my "Bud".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:32 pm 
Surroundaholic

Well, you're River161, and has to proceed with the project life and in honor of those very dear to us have gone ..

God bless your friend and take him to his glory. Amen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:26 am 
Trusted User

Very well spoken River161 - as a fellow Maccateer I can honestly say it has been a priviledge and an honour to have know our dear friend.

Rest in peace matey !!!

Maccateer roz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:58 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

I cannot think of a more fitting tribute to my friend Ken then to dedicate this stereo-to-surround forum to him. Though I did not know him like a brother, I knew him well enough to call him "one of my best friends that I've never met". He had the kindest soul, the warmest heart, and the most everlasting patience I have ever seen in a human being. Though he was not an outspoken person, his words were always straight forward and of pure honesty with nothing held back.

He guided hundreds of surround lovers,
He learned everything he could from everyone he met,
He taught everything he could to everyone he met,
HE LOVED HIS SURROUND MUSIC MORE THAN ANYTHING!

I will forever remember him, and I hope when my time comes that I'll get to sit next to him in heaven.

I miss him already, and I'll miss him forever :cry:

RIP Ken!

from a Fellow Honorary MacCateer,
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:42 am 
Trusted User

I am very happy to see this site being dedicated to one of the greatest persons in the surround community and the nicest guy I have ever had the honour to meet (though not personnally).
Ken was my friend, my teacher and guide concerning surround music and always told me straight forward what he was thinking about my conversions. This honesty made his advice that valuable for me and I appreciated his opinion all through. We drank several virtual beers together and he always had a cheerful word for me when I was down.
Sometimes life does not seem to be fair and everybody knows the saying "Only the good die spam". Well, then Ken must have obviously been too good for this world but there is no badness where he is now. I am sure he will be watching us from up there and his spirit will be with us forever. So let us remember him any time we are playing a successful conversion!

I will be missing you, my friend!

Until we'll meet again . . .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:04 am 
Surround Addict

me and Ken had rapidshare account where we upload/download samples for test.
he was always asking about the levels, definitions between channels and i was always asking the same in lots of mails.
later we used Skype and common rapidshare account to send and get samples for test.
i still have the Premium Account working, i don't create a new. each time that i login in rapidshare have Ken's name inside and i remember all that we did together as all files for tests are there.

....hard lose one great friend, still hurt so much!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:57 am 
Trusted User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:49 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

I've updated the main post here to include the page we have set up in Ken's honor at the American Cancer Society webpage. Many of his surround friends have banded together and made a donation in his honor.