SurroundByUs.com

A Stereo-to-Surround Community
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:23 am
  • No posting regarding file sharing of copyrighted material is allowed
  • AudioMuxer is here
  • Spec and SpecWeb are here
 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


The tools and techniques described and provided on this forum are intended for use on material owned by users and for their personal use as covered by "fair use" and other applicable copyright laws. The owners and moderators of this forum do not suggest or condone any violation of copyright or other applicable laws. Any use of these methods outside this forum in a manner which violates "fair use" or copyright is done so at the individual's own peril and is not the responsibility of surroundbyus.com. All Methods and Guides are Copyrighted © SurroundByUs.com. Overall forum rules can be read HERE.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:24 am 
Offline
Surround Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:19 pm
Posts: 139
hi all.

even without good fame i encoded lots and like too much of 5.1 AC3 640k, i like of DTS-CDs too but much more of DTS in DVD-V using DVD Pro Encoder or DTSHDMA Encoder that are better than Surcode.

no DVD-A player, i hear with SHAPlay as Foobar don't work in Win2000.
no Blu-Ray player too...

i'm lefting to burn medias and encoding 5.1 24/96 waves and converting to .flacs with EAC3TO to play in pc to Sony 6.1 receiver using winamp, VLC or other.

i feel that playing 5.1 .flacs in pc to receiver/decoder sounds better than from medias via standalone players with others formats.

what audio formats you like and where you play?

cheers!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:31 am 
Offline
SBU Wiki Team
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:01 am
Posts: 282
I really only listen on my PC when I'm live monitoring. Unfortunately, the way my apartment is set up, until something like the PS3 Media Server allows streaming of DTS, or I'm willing to spend the money on a more expensive setup, I will be burning CDs and playing them on my HT for a while. Nothing wrong with that....except storage space!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:39 pm 
Offline
Surround Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:01 pm
Posts: 11
Location: The Burbs, Kansas City, MO.
For the most part I've done DTS CD's & music video upconversioons on DVD using good 'ol DTS at the high data rate. Only in the last few months have I constructed a new PC that is a good work horse but also connects via SPDIF to my surround preamp, & HDMI video to my projector. Burning the discs was necessity in olden days, just to get something off the PC & into a usable format for HT use. But now I'm finding myself relying more like you do on playing direct from PC. I've also discoverd you can do spme cool things that far exceed certain other standards, for example playing back 10bit captured video uncompressed from LD's. I don't know yet about putting a uncompressed MC sound mix on it, but I'll be trying that soon.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:24 am 
Offline
Surround Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:19 pm
Posts: 139
only a comment for this interestings details:
playing 5.1 AC3 640K and DTS in authored DVD-Video with 3 dvd player to my decoder using coaxial cable i can hear few, really just a few differences between formats.

playing the same files in pc via spam outputs to same receiver with VLC sounds completely equals.
the advantage to use in the pc only is the differents sizes:
5.1 AC3 640K, 25MB.
same in 5.1 DTS, 50,8MB.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:21 am 
Offline
Surround Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:19 pm
Posts: 139
more curious infos. i did this test long time ago.
yesterday i did again as my audiocard was changed to 24Bit capable.

if the source is stereo wav 16/44.1 ripping cds, no matter how much i upsample or change bit-depth, playing in pc via spam outputs to receiver with VLC, winamp, A. audition, S.Forge or other player sounds completely equals.

to be sure, i call one friend to do 'blind test' and he don't feel differences too.
was used in the test:
16/44.1, 24/44.1, 16/48, 24/48, 16/88.2, 24/88.2, 16/96, 24/96.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:05 am 
Offline
Surround Junkie

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:40 am
Posts: 38
jorgeluiz wrote:
more curious infos. i did this test long time ago.
yesterday i did again as my audiocard was changed to 24Bit capable.

if the source is stereo wav 16/44.1 ripping cds, no matter how much i upsample or change bit-depth, playing in pc via spam outputs to receiver with VLC, winamp, A. audition, S.Forge or other player sounds completely equals.

to be sure, i call one friend to do 'blind test' and he don't feel differences too.
was used in the test:
16/44.1, 24/44.1, 16/48, 24/48, 16/88.2, 24/88.2, 16/96, 24/96.


Correct....upsampling or changing the bitdepth doesn't change the sound at all.
But....... for a conversion it can make a hell of a difference in the endresult.
Some VST's just work better when given 32/96 instead of 16/44.1.......

BTW I once had a Philips SACD player that had an upsampling button. You could upsample to 24/96 or 24/192 and there it made quite a difference,
but I suppose that dedicated hardware is something not yet rewritten in software ! (See Google for review of this upsampling button : Philips SA 563)

AC3 @ 640 is not a format every player will play (nor is 512) !!
DVD Maestro doesn't even accept these.........

PS. PM'ed you !


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:09 am 
Offline
Surround Junkie

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:40 am
Posts: 38
It difffers.....
I prefer DTS on DVD because everyone can play this.
For myself I prefer DVDA.
I almost never play music on my PC, despite the 5.1 receiver on it with 5 speakers and LFE.
It only has SPDIF, so previewing in Plogue remains limited to 2 speakers only.......
I play the most on my Pioneer player, but an AC3 collection will be played on my WDTV......


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:15 am 
Offline
Surround Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:19 pm
Posts: 139
Fantasia wrote:
Correct....upsampling or changing the bitdepth doesn't change the sound at all.
But....... for a conversion it can make a hell of a difference in the endresult.
Some VST's just work better when given 32/96 instead of 16/44.1.......
yes, some VST's go better upsampling. the tests that i did was using singles stereo sources ripping CDs playing in stereo and not using Plogue to 5.1. i posted the results of this tests somewhere in the forum.( the resume of the test is: me and my friend can't hear differences)
Fantasia wrote:
BTW I once had a Philips SACD player that had an upsampling button. You could upsample to 24/96 or 24/192 and there it made quite a difference,
but I suppose that dedicated hardware is something not yet rewritten in software ! (See Google for review of this upsampling button : Philips SA 563)
seems very good as you can hear differences, i only read about. where i live have singles standalones Philips and Sony that can upsample to 24/96 or 24/192 and i was next to spam one.
Fantasia wrote:
AC3 @ 640 is not a format every player will play (nor is 512) !!
DVD Maestro doesn't even accept these.........

PS. PM'ed you !
all players that i know run AC3-640k, i have read that some old models can't but all news run without problem.
remember that Pink Floyd - Pulse DVD have AC3 448 and 640k and is not so new.
i never used DVD maestro but it's a authoring program and not a player, right?
thanks, i got you PM.
;)
Fantasia wrote:
It difffers.....
I prefer DTS on DVD because everyone can play this.
...to play DTS is needed to have DTS receiver/decoder and standalone player compatible with this format or everyone have the 'obligation' to play in pc with 5.1 audiocard.(who want stereo DTS?!? :lol: )
Fantasia wrote:
For myself I prefer DVDA.
i don't have DVD-A player, i can only play in PC and sounds very nice.
Fantasia wrote:
I almost never play music on my PC, despite the 5.1 receiver on it with 5 speakers and LFE.
i play more in PC. i get better sound via spam from PC to decoder/receiver then playing authoreds DVDs in standalone via coaxial. the reason? my ears as i can feel. this is why i'm doing 5.1 waves to .flacs to play from big HD..
Fantasia wrote:
It only has SPDIF, so previewing in Plogue remains limited to 2 speakers only.......
I play the most on my Pioneer player, but an AC3 collection will be played on my WDTV......
the sound must be cool. believe, i never could use SPDIF with my old pc....don't work.

cheers!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:01 pm 
Offline
Surround Junkie

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:40 am
Posts: 38
jorgeluiz wrote:
i never used DVD maestro but it's a authoring program and not a player, right?


Yes, it's an authoring program and one of the few that makes DVD's fully according to the specs.......


Quote:
to play DTS is needed to have DTS receiver/decoder and standalone player compatible with this format or everyone have the 'obligation' to play in pc with 5.1 audiocard.(who want stereo DTS?!? :lol: )


I needed stereo DTS when I put all the 16 remastered stereo Beatles albums on one DVD5 in DTS 2.0 (768).
Had about 300 MB spare on it............. so :lol: back to you ! :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:59 pm 
Offline
Surround Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:19 pm
Posts: 139
Fantasia wrote:
For myself I prefer DVDA.
i understand that you have DVD-A player or use in pc with Foobar or ShaPLAY.

Fantasia wrote:
I needed stereo DTS when I put all the 16 remastered stereo Beatles albums on one DVD5 in DTS 2.0 (768).
Had about 300 MB spare on it............. so :lol: back to you ! :)
DTS in DVD5 need upsample from 44.1 to 48....
Beatles remastererds are news then you did this job few time ago.

... :? why DTS stereo 768 lossy and not DVD-A dual-layer lossless ?!? :lol:

so, back to you again! :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP POWERED_BY