[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SurroundByUs.com • View topic - Soundcard Recommendation (Baggynz startup issues cont.)

SurroundByUs.com

A Stereo-to-Surround Community
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:51 pm
  • No posting regarding file sharing of copyrighted material is allowed
  • AudioMuxer is here
  • Spec, SpecScript and SpecWeb are here

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The tools and techniques described and provided on this forum are intended for use on material owned by users and for their personal use as covered by "fair use" and other applicable copyright laws. The owners and moderators of this forum do not suggest or condone any violation of copyright or other applicable laws. Any use of these methods outside this forum in a manner which violates "fair use" or copyright is done so at the individual's own peril and is not the responsibility of surroundbyus.com. All Methods and Guides are Copyrighted © SurroundByUs.com. Overall forum rules can be read .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:08 pm 
Surround Junkie

Hey all,

I thought it would better to move discussion about my hardware issues to the hardware section!

Here is my current gear:
32GB RAM, 3.6GHZ 8-core CPU, 3TB 7200rpm HD (more storage available) - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
MSI 970A-G43 - Motherboard
M-Audio US41750 Audiophile 192 Hi-def - Sound Card (bought a while back for the inputs)
Kenwood VR-606 5.1 Receiver
I'm still in the testing phase - trying to figure out the functionality of the Kenwood VR-606.
I'd like to try to make the spam inputs on it work, if I can - even if it isn't perfect monitoring. It fit in the budget.
I have it on the DVD/6-Chan setting. When I play a test sound from the Realtek setup window, I get sounds out of the right channels, at the right volumes, etc. Sounds good. So, I know I have the right input selected on the Kenwood. No DTS or DD LEDs are lighting up, which I think is good. So, we're spam and it should just be pass-through, right? The receiver is basically just an amp for the speakers at this point and passing the spam signal from each of the 6 inputs to the respective speaker? I'm not positive there isn't some setting in the Kenwood somewhere messing things up.
I have tried playing Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy over DTS and DD 5.1. I do get discrete playback from all channels, but something isn't right. For instance, the lead vocal sounds very faint and like it fades out. Weird. I think I have the front L & R too close to the center speaker. They are currently only a couple of feet away, due to desk space. I will try to find a speaker placement diagram and get them shoved out further. Could speaker placement cause some kind of cancelling effect? I have checked the phase of every speaker. Phase is correct.
One thing I wonder is if the motherboard can't handle the playback well enough? Maybe there is some kind of impedance mismatch between the outputs on my computer and the inputs on the Kenwood?
I'm willing to pick up a sound card that uses ASIO. I'm sorry, but I can't find the post where a specific sound card was suggested.
Regarding my existing M-Audio sound card, is that going to cause issues for my output sound card?
I eventually want to be able to record hi-res music with this machine. Is the M-Audio the right card for the job? It has MIDI and 1/4" inputs/outputs. No XLR. I may need some kind of sound board that just feeds 1/4" audio to the M-Audio card? But that is a problem for Future Baggynz.

So, to recap, my basic questions right now are:
-is there a soundcard that will function better than my onboard outputs
-should I get my front L & R out away further from the center speaker

I don't want to get too hung up on trying to play this ELP DVD. My goal is to take an audio source and work some SPEC (or other method) magic on it and be able to monitor well enough that my mix is a pretty good guess. I can burn and test on my home system and tweak a few times.
I have some 192k/24bit flacs to play with from the Rush Sector 2 set!

As always, any suggestions, advice and answers to questions is greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:50 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

Make sure your RealTek software and your kenwood HT are not set to do any sound processing. "Jazz", "big room", "EQ" or whatever. All that stuff should be off.

Speaker position is not the distance, it's the angle. Google "ITSC speaker placement" and/or look in the SPEC manual.

I recommended the ESI U46XL. 4 in, 6 out, and some somewhat unique features that let you route sound between programs. But maybe not 6ch out at 192 or even 96Khz. Do your homework. Pro Audio sound I/O boxes are not inexpensive (well, maybe Behringer).

Re: Phase, all speakers must be the same distance from the listening position or you have to use time delay to time/phase align them. DTS setup discs, and others, have phase tests using noise. If you have white or pink noise coming from two speakers they are in phase if you don't hear any swoosh sound as you move your head back and forth in front of them (or in a larger room walk in from of them at a distance). Out of phase speakers close together will also lose bass. If you can move the speakers you can test their phase with noise or even music and put them up next to each other. If the bass goes away that are out of phase.

Your kenwood should have settings to do the time alignment if the speakers are not equidistant from the listening position. If it wants to know ms delay, vs. distance you can look up the formula online. Furthest away speaker will get no delay and closer speakers will get delay amounts to match.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:28 am 
Surround Junkie

I've set the room correction footage in the Realtek setup, but no other effects.
Alternatively, I could do room correction in the Kenwood. Do you think there is an advantage either way?
Well, I'll go ahead and give it a try. Maybe the Realtek room correction sucks.
Also, I'll try to find if there is a "factory settings reset" on the Kenwood. Maybe the previous dude did some funny stuff.

What are your thoughts on a M-Audio Delta 1010?

The ESI U46XL looks very cool!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:43 pm 
Surround Junkie

Just tested some 5.1, from DTS (Queen Video Hits and Opeth Ghost Reveries) up to 24/192 HD Master Audio (Beck Sea Change).
All sounded fine!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:17 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

M-Audio 1010 Probably fine. For that scale, I went with Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, + Bheringer ADA8000, + ART DPS II to load up both the ADAT and and SPDIF capabilities of the Pro 40.

I also have the Allen&Heath ZED R16, witch can be used by itself or via ADAT with the Saffire Pro 40.

Time correction should be in the Kenwood IF you are going to use any other inputs on that. If not, it probably doesn't mater except that if you use another sound card, or a ASIO driver (if there is one) for the Realtek, the time correction in the Realtek will be bypassed.