[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SurroundByUs.com • View topic - Older Versions Of Spec

SurroundByUs.com

A Stereo-to-Surround Community
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:47 am
  • No posting regarding file sharing of copyrighted material is allowed
  • AudioMuxer is here
  • Spec, SpecScript and SpecWeb are here

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The tools and techniques described and provided on this forum are intended for use on material owned by users and for their personal use as covered by "fair use" and other applicable copyright laws. The owners and moderators of this forum do not suggest or condone any violation of copyright or other applicable laws. Any use of these methods outside this forum in a manner which violates "fair use" or copyright is done so at the individual's own peril and is not the responsibility of surroundbyus.com.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:36 pm 
Surround Fan

Well no joy with reinstalling, exactly the same results, still get bass test tone running in the background, that only stops when i tick then untick the checkbox, the problem seems to be that spec is processing even with no audio file loaded and giving dsp of over 180 with everything else disabled, i'm now running out of ideas, unless its a c runtime error

Jim.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:24 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

You're definitely seeing some unusual stuff. What version of Plogue are you running?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:40 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

also please try cc or slice, vs. arctan.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:37 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

I've been mucking around with SPEC on an older XP machine, and I see some places where I might be able to shave a few % points of DSP off in ArcTan, but only by muting features that aren't currently in use, so your results would depend on what controls you're using.

Outside of that, to minimize DSP load while live monitoring, bypass (right click, processing mode, bypass) anything you're not using. This might include:

ZPan, FreeMastering, ZAG, and Limiters. Obviously if you want to hear the affect of, say, the limiters, they would have to be processing.

As mentioned earlier if you're not using Per Track Automation you could delete or mute (right click, processing mode, mute) the preset manager.

Then when you go offline to do measure levels and apply gains/record you will set ZAG, the Limiters, and anything else you're using to processing.

That's about all I can do for you. The majority of the DSP load comes from the FFT/iFFT bidules in Plogue iteself. For Slice and ArcTan we need two FFTs and five iFFTs. You can see the effect of these on the DSP load by drilling down into SLICE or ArcTan and muting them.

I may be replacing one of my XP machines with an lowcost Atom based box like this: http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-Intel-Mini- ... B003N198UG

and if I do I can let you know how SPEC runs (if at all) on that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:37 pm 
Surround Fan

Hi
well spent today flattening the machine, bit the bullet and installed win 7, as a result i get improved monitoring with spec simple layout, buffer size 1024, fft size 8192, fft overlap 4 gives a dsp of around 70, any higher takes it to around 115.

With spec main still can only use buffer size 1024, fft size 2.48, fft overlap 2 gives a dsp of around 90, but the sound is rough to say the least, with these settings in spec simple the sound is just as rough, so looks like its my hardware that won't play ball.

The only other thing is if i open up my soundcard biddle preferances, current latency details state: "biddle runs with 1024 samples (23.22ms) sized blocks, this driver runs with 10240 samples (232.2ms) -> compensating, setting might be improvable" , any ideas what this meansand how can i improve it?

Cheers and happy new year everyone.

jim.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:21 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

It means you could use your audio driver to set a buffer size that would be closer to what spec is doing.

Have you tried the other audio devices, besides ASIO?

Have you tried using SLICE, vs. ArcTan?

Typically we don't use ZPAN with ArcTan, so you could bypass ZPAN, FreeMastering, ZAG, and the limiters.

To measure levels, set zag processing to on. If you don't want peak capture you can un-check that in ZAG, that uses a bit of DSP.

To Apply Gains and Record, set processing to on for the limiters.

I've been working to shave off some DSP but I'm not done yet. Well let you know.

After doing some shopping I decided not to spend money on the Atom experiment, and not to DYI at all, but I may borrow some hardware from work to do that experiment anyway. What I did settle on for a "what is the least expensive hardware to run spec on" experiment was this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachines+- ... Id=1243045

That's a 2.8 Ghz dual core. Memory speed isn't the fastest bet everything else seems good. Even the RPMs of the drive.

Don't know if you have any funds available but I'll be testing this machine later this week.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:13 pm 
Surroundaholic