[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SurroundByUs.com • View topic - Plogue/SPEC still bogging down PC

SurroundByUs.com

A Stereo-to-Surround Community
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:48 pm
  • No posting regarding file sharing of copyrighted material is allowed
  • AudioMuxer is here
  • Spec, SpecScript and SpecWeb are here

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The tools and techniques described and provided on this forum are intended for use on material owned by users and for their personal use as covered by "fair use" and other applicable copyright laws. The owners and moderators of this forum do not suggest or condone any violation of copyright or other applicable laws. Any use of these methods outside this forum in a manner which violates "fair use" or copyright is done so at the individual's own peril and is not the responsibility of surroundbyus.com.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:39 pm 
Surround Enthusiast

I was having issues when I upgraded from SPEC 4.3.2 to SPEC 4.6, and ended up installing Plogue 64 bit in error. I uninstalled that and my 32 bit was AFU.

I blew away all Plogue installs and registry settings, reinstalled Plogue 9707, then installed SPEC 4.0, 4.2, 4.3.2, and 4.6, including all plugins, layouts and VST deals. Everything is where it should be.

I went through the videos, set all parameters as shown, and I am now back where I started. Plogue sits there fine. I load the untouched 4.6 layout, open a file (9600), set it up to process it with default settings, create the filename for the store. I did not even add my output audio device just to eliminate that option.

As soon as I turn processing ON, by CPU begins to drag. The mouse is erratic. When I press PLAY on the audio file player to start the process, the CPUs go wild, the mouse disappears and is really sluggish. The play button does not depress for a few seconds, and the playback time is not refreshed.

I did a quick iPod video to show you guys what's happening. Has anyone else seen this before? This whole deal worked perfectly for over a year. It all went down the tubes when I installed the 4.6.

INFO: win7 64bit, 8Gb RAM, intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz

Link to 3 minute video: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/miscstuff/SPEC46.avi

Link to my bidule.log: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/miscstuff/jonbidule.log

THANKS TO ALL, you guys are great!

I really am stumped on this one.......

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:15 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

Your DSP settings are much too aggressive to run in online mode. No matter what their processing power is, I don't think anybody can run online with your current settings: 96000/512/8192/16.

I assume your source is a 96000Hz wav because that's what you have in your DSP settings. To live monitor, you first need to use a 44100 or 48000Hz version of your input file. Downsample your source with r8brain or Sound Forge or any other program. It does not need to be top-notch quality because that's not what you will be using in the end. With a 96000Hz source, I recommend downsampling to 48000Hz.

Change your DSP settings to 48000/512/4096/4. Load the 48000Hz source in the player and try again to play it. The CPU load should now be very reasonable and you should easily be able to add the Audio Device to hear the live output.

When you have done all your settings and are ready to do the "measuring" run, remove the Audio Device from the layout. In the Edit menu, check "Offline Processing". In Zag, make sure your track lengths are calculated for the 48000Hz source. Press Play and press the Off button (to turn processing on). Let it run until completed.

When the measuring run is completed, press the On button. Change your DSP settings to 96000/512/16384/16. Load the 96000Hz source. In Zag, make sure your track lengths are calculated for the 96000Hz source and change the mode to "Apply Gains". In the Audio File Recorder, name the output file, check Create multiple files and select Mono. Press Play and press the Off button. Let it run until completed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:20 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

I was typing in the same responce when Fan51 beet me to it!

You might want to get comfortable running with a 44.1 or 48 Khz sources before going for 92Khz sources.

Might be an easier learning curve.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:27 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:34 pm 
Surround Enthusiast

Wow, you guys are FAST! :!:

OK, I'll dumb it down. I could have sworn I'd used 9600 audio files before without issue.

I'll give some CD tracks a shot and see what happens. Thanks again to all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:27 am 
Surround Enthusiast

OK guys, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong.

I had in fact used 24/96 wav and FLAC files with SPEC before, but I never changed the DSP settings to 96000! It actually works, but you get the little warning pop up telling you the audio "might suffer".

So, what do you guys do when you have a 24/96 stereo source file. I have R8BrainPro, so resampling isn't a big deal, but what do you find gives you the best result:

a) Letting Plogue/SPEC do it with the audio "suffering", or
b) Resampling down and setting the DSP to the proper frequency?

Also, I watched the video and set those DSP setting up because that's what's shown in the video (with the exception of the frequency setting). So what would be the optimum settings with my hardware.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Have a great Christmas/Holiday season!

:-jon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:30 am 
Surround Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:07 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:11 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:34 pm 
Surround Enthusiast