SurroundByUs.com

A Stereo-to-Surround Community
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:35 am
  • No posting regarding file sharing of copyrighted material is allowed
  • AudioMuxer is here
  • Spec, SpecScript and SpecWeb are here

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The tools and techniques described and provided on this forum are intended for use on material owned by users and for their personal use as covered by "fair use" and other applicable copyright laws. The owners and moderators of this forum do not suggest or condone any violation of copyright or other applicable laws. Any use of these methods outside this forum in a manner which violates "fair use" or copyright is done so at the individual's own peril and is not the responsibility of surroundbyus.com.

Post subject: DTS & dtswav files
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:30 am 
Surround Enthusiast

I have got dtswav in wav container & also DTS in DTS container.

(A) dtswav I can burn as Audio CD & play in my AVR.

DTS in DTS container how I could play in my AVR? I'm not able to even see this file after burning or copying in any media.

(B) I have dtswav multichannel audio. I know it has been converted from wave stereo source by someone. Now if I convert these multichannel wave to stereo wave will I get those same original waves what he has used for getting these dtswav?

If I'm sure I will get that, instead of demuxing these dtswav to 6 monos & remix again to stereo is there a better way to directly get stereo wave from that multichannel dtswav.

Simple you could have guessed from my question my need or goal. Instead of those lossy multichannel dtswav I want to convert it to multichannel lossless flac.

For this if any other simple way also welcome but I want lossless multichannel flac output from multichannel dtswav

Post subject: Re: DTS & dtswav files
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:54 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

There are a few different DTS technologies, some of which are lossy and some not.

The ones that are not lossy are "HD Master" or "DTS:X HD Master". FYI the lossless ones also have a lossy "core" so that they are backwards compatible with older playback gear, or gear with fewer channels.

If you have a DTS AVCHD, DVD Video, or BluRay (unencrypted) you can extract the audio from it using AudioMuxer:

http://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=135

If you have a "DTS Music Disc" (a CD) probably the easiest way to extract audio is with foobar2000 and a dts plugin. Maybe AudioMuxer does that too, however, so check the manual.

In any case nothing is going to get you lossless audio from a lossy source.

Mixdown to stereo can be done with sox, maybe also with tools like ffmpeg and eac3to (again, check the AudioMuxer manual before getting more tools).

I am not understanding "dts in a dts container". Some dts wav files have been named .dts, instead of .wav and if your playback mechanism works with dts .wav files you probably just need to rename the .dts files to .wav.

There is on fine point for files that have been made specifically for streaming via spdif. I forget the details but once again, covered in the AudioMuxer manual.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:23 am 
Surround Enthusiast

What I have mentioned as dts container is nothing but codec. Instead of wav codec it is in dts codec.

And renaming as .wav not working. Same issue. Not detecting even file as present.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:23 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

PM'd user to get a look at the files...