SurroundByUs.com

A Stereo-to-Surround Community
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 am
  • No posting regarding file sharing of copyrighted material is allowed
  • AudioMuxer is here
  • Spec, SpecScript and SpecWeb are here

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The tools and techniques described and provided on this forum are intended for use on material owned by users and for their personal use as covered by "fair use" and other applicable copyright laws. The owners and moderators of this forum do not suggest or condone any violation of copyright or other applicable laws. Any use of these methods outside this forum in a manner which violates "fair use" or copyright is done so at the individual's own peril and is not the responsibility of surroundbyus.com.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:40 pm 
Stereo

Great Community! I am proud to be here with you all. However, I am trying to understand something and am having a very hard time getting information from anyone or even anything on the internet. I am a music producer. I want to deliver my music in a Quadraphonic format to my listeners. My questions are: 1.) Do any of the smartphones, mp3 players, etc. have the ability to stream or play a multichannel music file? From what I've found, they only deliver Stereo sound but there MUST be a way (plugin, app) that can do this? 2.) What medium do I have to use in order to get the music to my listeners? I understand that CD is not an option so I assume that I could do a Quadraphonic mix on DVD and/or Blu spam? Is that true and are those my only options? I would love to be able to stream music in a 4 channel format but keep hitting a brick wall when trying to get ANY info. on how multi channel audio is being used in todays environments. I appreciate everyone on this page and am looking forward to any insight regarding my questions. I apologize if they are uneducated, but like I stated, I am a newbie when it comes to producing in 4 channel audio.

Respectfully,
--Ivan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:36 am 
SBU Wiki Team

Why not 5.1?

Quad systems have their speakers in the corners of the room and only quad buffs will have their speakers in this setup. Most people with surround sound setups will have the speakers in the ITU positions for surround sound. Also, center channels for vocals, etc. are great. Vs. a phantom center, a real center adds clarity when each instrument or voice is coming from its own speaker.

I haven't researched the mobile devices heavily, but I did notice that my fiancee's Samsung Galaxy S5 has settings for HDMI and surround sound.

Re multichannel media; you can use CDs, with DTS 2 ch up through 5.1, maybe 6.1, however playback requires a cd player with an optical, coax, or hdmi out, or a DVD or BluRay player.

You can also use DVDs or BluRay.

We can help you with all of that.

PS I have pro tools 10 and complete production toolkit so can use pro tools to mix/master in 5.1. What are you using?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:13 pm 
Stereo

I am using Cubase and I also can mix in 5.1 or 7.1.

Do you think that THIS product would work for what I am trying to accomplish?
http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:23 am 
SBU Wiki Team

I haven't heard of that company before. I do have good experience with esi. This looks to be the current product:

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/gigaporthd+/

That will get you all the way to 7.1 @44.1Khz 16bits.

You need to think about what sample rate and bit depth you want to monitor at, and the max output channels you will ever want.

FYI this is what I'm using now, but it is overkill for you if you don't need the inputs (and is firewire vs. usb):

http://us.focusrite.com/firewire-audio-interfaces/saffire-pro-40

If you want pro-audio quality, suggest you browse here: http://www.sweetwater.com/spam/computer-audio/audio_interfaces/