[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SurroundByUs.com • View topic - multichannel .dts to .dtswav -- how to?

SurroundByUs.com

A Stereo-to-Surround Community
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:45 am
  • No posting regarding file sharing of copyrighted material is allowed
  • AudioMuxer is here
  • Spec, SpecScript and SpecWeb are here

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

The tools and techniques described and provided on this forum are intended for use on material owned by users and for their personal use as covered by "fair use" and other applicable copyright laws. The owners and moderators of this forum do not suggest or condone any violation of copyright or other applicable laws. Any use of these methods outside this forum in a manner which violates "fair use" or copyright is done so at the individual's own peril and is not the responsibility of surroundbyus.com.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:16 am 
SBU Wiki Team

OK, got it. But for Foobar to play (locally on your PC) the dts.wav files it needs the DTS Decoder ( ;) ), otherwise you will hear static sound. That part I have tested and that seems to works fine, but most probably SPDIF'ing that thing is another ball game (as you have clearly tested).

If it is not working, then I will remove that "wrapper" in the next release of AudioMuxer, otherwise it could complicate things going forward.

Small question: If your system is SPDIF'ing .DTS files correctly why did you then need that "wrapper", that's not yet clear to me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:58 am 
SBU Wiki Team

I don't see a spdif plugin for 1.x versions of foobar. So you will probably want to stick with foobar 0.9x (unless we figure out that you don't need a plugin in 1.x?)

Looking at the plugin website:

http://www.ga.cba.pl/

it looks like it works via the file extension, so if you have some type of encoded autio (such as a .wav file that is DTS encoded) you'd have to rename it to .DTS to get it to play our the DTS.

I'm not sure we're on the same page about sound card settings. Are you changing your sound card sample rate from 44.1 to 48 when you play a DVD files vs. CD files? As far as I know that doesn't happen for you in foobar or any other software (although some software can be set to resample).

For playing files from a DVD (48 khz) please verify that your sound card is set for 48Khz. Also, there can't be anything in the audio chain that is changing the volume. That's probably part of what the foobar plugin does, but if you were using a generic software player and SPDIF output, you would need to set the volume at max, disable any EQ, etc. etc. to get bit perfect playback so your HT will recognize and decode it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:00 pm 
Surround Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 pm 
Surround Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:23 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

Well what I personally do (and this is for 44.1 dts only) is convert each song to ma4 and playback via iTunes. There's a couple of guides on that in the wiki.

That allows to have tags,album art, playlists, etc etc and still have the dts decoded by my ht. It is possible to tag wave files but that is non standard and won't work in all players.

Sorry if I keep sending you off on in different directions but individual songs in 48khz plus tags is not something I've ever seen work. There are more possibilities if you go spam to your ht but then you will have to deal with bass management etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:38 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

Actually, should be able to convert to flac, and tag. That certainly works @44.1. You'll need to dump the spdif plugin (I'm assuming) and go bit perfect without it. Any lossless format should work given bit perfect.

I'll do some testing later tonight.

Just re-read your initial post. You say you can't convert wav to flac and tag. Why?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:14 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

OK, here's my test:

windows 7 64 bit
Foobar2000 1.1 with dts decoder removed (for output via SPDIF)
M-Audio Transport SPDIF out set to 48 Khz
Foobar set to use M-Audio transport with ASIO driver (ASIO plugin) for bit perfect playback
Foobar volume all the way up.
SPDIF connected to my HT for DTS decode.

Stereo 44.1Khz flac works (didn't expect this, something is trans coding to 48 Khz)
5.1 44.1 Khz dts wave works (OK, maybe the ASIO driver is changing the sample rate?)
48Khz DTS encoded file (output of surcode) with a .wav extension works
Same named to .dts fails (foobar can't figure out what to do)
Same converted to flac works!

Now I will go on to try to make sure I have the same format file you are working with.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 pm 
SBU Wiki Team

By the way I couldn't get it work with the RealTek SPDIF on my motherboard, but I was just using the DS driver.

Let me try with ASIO4ALL

ASIO4ALL + M-Audio transit with 48 khz dts wav converted to flac: works

ASIO4ALL + RealTek: Everythig works (output of dts encoder named .wav. also if converted to flac)!

Hmm. foobar 1.x doesn't like .ac3 files, even renamed to .wav. Same for .cpt.

Also didn't work with .dts files demuxed from a DVD.

I got the same results you did, the wrap in dts wav feature in audiomuxer didn't help.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:47 am 
Surround Junkie

Last edited by krabapple on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:56 am 
Surround Junkie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next